I'm writing a book-length history of Urbit. I'll also write, in an Urbit-centric way, about the the wider world of computing. Chapters will be posted on Urbit, beginning October 21st, in the Notebooks section of the group ~librex-dozryc/AUC . Right now I see the piece as going something like this:
- Preface. A short story about the year 2050. Introduction to the concept of Urbit.
- Laundry list of the things wrong with the current internet, only more dramatic than a laundry list
- Laundry list of the things wrong with the current internet, only more dramatic than a laundry list, continued.
- Social history of computers
- Social history of computers, continued
- Technical explanation of Urbit, only more dramatic than a technical explanation
- Technical explanation of Urbit, only more dramatic than a technical explanation, continued
- Social history of Urbit
- Social history of Urbit, continued
- Summing up
I'm a novelist and essayist who has written about tech, politics, and literature. My plan, so far, for any received stars, is to spawn planets for interesting individuals and communities who might like Urbit, and to research what might go into creating a hosted star-based community.
1 stars Ch1. Actually completed 10/21, not 10/29
1 stars Ch2
1 stars Ch3
1 stars Ch4
1 stars Ch5
1 stars Ch6
1 stars Ch7
1 stars Ch8
1 stars Ch9
3 stars Ch10. Contract is for disbursal of 12 stars at 1 star per chapter until completion; if projected is completed in fewer than 12 chapters, then remaining stars (12 - x) are to be disbursed at completion